Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Thing 11: Social Media "I'm lovin' it"




Love it, love it, love it.

A news channel like no other - this is something I can really use, personally or at the reference desk. It eliminates the problem of going through several different news sites to figure out what's out there. I realize the most popular stories are on the top headline or news Web site, but there are sometimes really great and informative stories that don't make it that far. These social media examples help with that. I took a look at the different sites and was surprised with the quick demos. Here's what I thought.

Mixx-not a particular fan, but the options seemed many, and the layout seemed to provide all the necessities in fine fashion. I came back to this however and created an account because it was listed as a way of sharing on cnn.com and I could Mixx stories without logging in! Mixx this public librarians! Unfortunately, the story didn't mention she went to the public library to type up her letter.

Digg-dug Digg, looked a little more professional, but I had to register to Digg it! Maybe when I have more time.

Newsvine-love it! professional, and looks like my one-stop shop for news. I had to create an account though and it wasn't listed on CNN :(

Reddit-and wasn't impressed. Not very fancy, it was very simple, but this may also be a good thing if you want just the text (headlines).


The only downside to all this was that I don't know which one of these I should really indulge my time in...time will tell, I have to get back to work!

No comments:

Post a Comment