Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Thing 22: Staying Current or Staying Above H2O in this 2.0 World?

The relevant question is, what do you mean by staying current? Sort of like what is the meaning of is? I would love to stay current in this sea of information that I love. This is partly the reason I chose to become a millionaire....I mean...librarian. Freudian slip? Probably not. I love information, of all sorts. Though these 2.0 things only make it harder on someone like me who already has trouble keeping up with all the good news. I love my local news, state news, national news, world news, the environment, politics, statistics, psychology, philosophy, technology, information organization, design, music, economics, finance, travel, self-growth, music, history, self-help, etc. etc. etc. Now my choices have gotten larger and I have to work harder at prioritizing. And I'm sure 23 Things account for only perhaps a small percentage of all the great things.

I admit, I really like some of the Things, but I'm frustrated at the get go, knowing that the Thing I find may not be the best of it's kind, the first of it's kind, or the last of it's kind, and it is limited with respect to other things that it may not be friends with or compatible with, and this Thing will soon be a different Thing and I may have to choose between staying with this Thing or leaving this Thing for another Thing.

I do admire the startup of all these Things nonetheless. I know they're not perfect and I know they will change and some better Things may come by to replace these Things. It's a real battle to reah out to these things, spend the time and do these Things.

Looking back at my first Thing, I admit I was much less knowledgeable then than I am now about all these Things. Nevertheless, I had an advantage many people do not. I was somewhat aware of some of these Things, including Delicious, YouTube, MySpace, Flicker, Facebook, iGooogle, and Ning, and I was somewhat interested and motivated to learn more about them. I feel bad for my fellow 23 Thingers who had no knowledge of or desire for these Things. Many Things took way more than 15 minutes, even to get through the reading, let alone posting, commenting and adding bells and whistles. As a requirement for work and training in the library, I could not imagine having done this through Thing 16 on work time with only a little time each week and knowing any less than I already knew. I give kudos to all participants for at the very least attempting 23 Things, even if it was by force from a supervisor. I made it to Thing 16 at work before I had to play the catch up game by playing on my home turf. Even then, I contributed a few bells and whistles from my home computer for Things 1-16.

I also admit that I am much more familiar with the whole blog and rss feed than I was before, even though I knew of them before but found no interest, time or purpose for blogging. I might actually come up with a few other blogs library- and non-library related and then maybe some day create a book or two. Until then, I will have to go back to the planning board and figure out where I should dedicate most of my time.

Overall, it's been fun! Though I haven't felt this much pressure to finish something at home since I was in library school. On to the prizes! :D Moving on to 23!!!!

Oh, and yes, I added a few things to my RSS blogger blog feed generator discombobulator. I picked the LIS news, Tech Source, and 43 Folders, or did I? Hmmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment