Monday, April 13, 2009

Thing 19: Social 2.0


Wow! Just when you thought you knew everything about social networks. I admit, I heard of Ning before, so I was glad to join the group in this thing. I have a mentor that was a member of Library 2.0 on Ning, so I was glad to finally join the group, though I needed to wait to get accepted.

WebJunction sounded familiar, and while I tried to join the group, I was glad that I was able to log in with my membership to WorldCat. Sweet! One less log in to remember. It was actually very informative.

I didn't find much use with Gather, though I imagine I might find it useful if I indulged in it long enough. One thing that came to mind was togetherweserved.com, which is a networking site for veterans. It's actually very good for veterans because it's custom tailored to almost everything military. You can post duty stations, medals, etc.

I didn't get much out of the other sites. The movie sites would be nice if they had free movies. Flixter had a few free movies. To create an account without free movies, I would probably go to imdb.com, my favorite movie database. Playlist was interesting, and I've seen it on myspace.com before, but I'm not sure if I should really use this, especially when considering a broad and professional audience.

No comments:

Post a Comment