Monday, April 13, 2009

Thing 20: Book 2.0000000000000000000000000...

This was an overwhelming thing. The book is definitely changing, though I imagine perhaps slower than perceived. This just increases the gap between the haves and have nots. The well-known digital divide is so ever-present here. Having to cope with literacy is bad enough, but then the issue is complicated by having to tackle the new technologies, whether online or through a new gadget.

The Kindle 2 looked really neat on video. I wasn't really a fan before, but I really liked the portable audio book setting. This might actually be a good investment, though it will take some time to get the most use out of it. You can get newspapers and books, though costs may vary. It seems like a nice toy for the avid reader, though I almost laughed about the part in the video that suggested taking it to the beach. Are they for real? They must not live in Florida. I can imagine the kindle not lasting long in the Florida humidity. Then you have to wonder if it will go blank with one accidental drop. Is it waterproof? Can I read it in the pool? Or how about the tub? :)

I can definitely see the changes in reading. Content has changed to some dismay. I admit, I'm part of the newer generation that likes things quick and simple to read. Though I value and engage in longer reading because I know this is important too. As time goes by, however, there is hardly any more time to indulge in a long reading of a book. I get overwhelmed reading about the latest trends, latest news, latest interests, latest fads, latest innovations, and then find time to dive into a book for fun, read a book for information, or sift through online sites to find the best article or site for a school paper. And then there's blogs, 2.0, social networking, new networking, then go and find the latest of the latest again. Get on the phone, log in to your 50 2.0 accounts, sign up for one more and then bring them all together in a mashup.

I made a goal for this year to read the most read book of all, across the world, and I'm struggling to keep up with that. Needless to say, I could only devote a quick read to this Thing. Should I have given it more time? Sure, only to see something else go to the wayside. More like 2.0verwhelming.

Although I browsed a few sites and found some interesting, like the "what's next" and the "series search" and the book interest groups, I was not as impressed as I was with LibraryThing and WorldCat (with mobile features). I don't really see myself reading a book on my phone. With that amount of time on my phone, can't I just check the book out at the library or sit down on my computer. I tried to read a book online once and just couldn't find time to finish it. My eyes may just bust out eventually with the electro thinga majiggies that light up my screen.

I must say, however, that the audiobook is perhaps the best thing I've discovered since I started working in the library and listening to others talk about their experiences of listening to books in their car. This is definitely a time-efficient tool. I've been listening and reading the King James Version of the Holy Bible for the first time and I don't think I could have made it this far without the audiobook. I got this for Chrismtas as an MP3 audiobook on 3 cds and I've been able to burn it to the computer and MP3 player and put the discs in the car. Thus far in April, I'm making it past Chronicles, and although I've had to read many parts over and over again, I have many thanks to the MP3 to have gotten me this far.

No comments:

Post a Comment