Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Thing 21: S2dent tu.0 2ls




I didn't really see the point in this for libraries at first, but was pretty impressed after trying to schedule a research paper for psychology. How do they know what to do? I wondered. Nevertheless, I like the instant gratification of knowing that my assignment can be broken down into segments and that I can get some insight and clarity for my paper along the way. This is a really neat tool, both the Assignment Calculator and the Research Project Calculator. I have to admit, though, I wonder what the actual practical usage would be like. Don't get me wrong. I think really dedicated students (perhaps the top 10 percent) will find this very helpful. But most students, I imagine, would see this as only one more chore to do on their way to making it through school. Teachers can definitely make good use of this, however, and try to encourage their students to use it. Librarians, to a smaller extent, can use this too. At the very least, they can encourage students to use it. I would actually like something like this for my life, not necessarily for school. Something that would allow me to put in what I want, and it would tell me how to get it and give me a timeline. How about a budget? I put in that I want to save $5,000 in the next year, I plug in some numbers and wha la! Here goes my plan. It could be lifetools2.0!

No comments:

Post a Comment