Sunday, January 25, 2009

Thing 2 . 0

Web 2.0, Library 2.0 (L2?), and now Thing 2.0. I might as well go through a personal self-improvement program and change my name to OTTO 2.0 to keep up with the times :) After reading John Blyberg's blog post, I can understand the confusion.

Web 2.0, in my understanding, is a term for making the Web more interactive. The original Web was more of an informative tool that went one way, from source to surfer. Web 2.0 gets information back to the source. In essence, we all become contributors to the Web with Web 2.0.

Library 2.0 (L2?), in my opinion, tries to make use of Web 2.0 tools in the library. I agree with some that say libraries have had elements of 2.0 in the past. Although this is true to some extent, I think the Web has taken it to new levels, in particular with new programs like blogs, social bookmarking tools like Delicious, etc. Nevertheless, I feel Library 2.0 is only one part of the whole library spectrum.

As for OTTO 2.0, maybe I should engage in more Web 2.0 tools :)

1 comment:

  1. I'm sort of a fan of Stephen Abram simply because he's out there trying new techie tools and helping promote them among libraries. I realize adopting these tools are a real challenge for libraries, especially for those that don't want anything to do with it.

    As for me, I think it can be fun. I'm not sure exactly how these 2.0 tools will work in libraries, which seems to be a common criticism, but can't we all just have fun trying them out? Even though Abrams jokes about finding the time for these things by taking 15 minutes a day or so, I can see the frustration for those that already have a full agenda and get easily frustrated trying to learn all these new things in 15 minutes.

    Nevertheless, I'm glad to see encouraging signs of libraries trying to reach out to people who are blogging, facebooking, myspacing, and who knows what else. The only caution I think we should have is to think what would happen if someone pulled the plug on our computers, or our internet. The computer wouldn't be the only thing in the dark.

    ReplyDelete