Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Thing 14: Online Productivity Tools....Whoa!



Finally! We get to the long-awaited iGoogle! This is indeed one of my favorite things. I've had an account for some time now and couldn't imagine hardly anything better. I admit, it's not as innovative as Scrybe, but Scrybe would not allow me to register (I guess it was full), and you almost have it all with iGoogle.

Let me count the ways...gmail, gnews, gtime, gcalendar, gtodo, gweather, gmaps, greader, gchat and any other widget you can add to it. AND, it is accessible on mobile devices.

I must admit though, I'm not a big fan of a public online calendar. Terrorism awareness anyone? Or am I just being insecure? And then, if I make it private, what if I have no internet? Scrybe had a neat offline option with sync capabilities, displayed in a dynamic fashion, but then again, registration is currently closed. And then do I really want another username and password? Mobile capabilites would be nice also.

I heard of 30 boxes before, but it seemed a little cluncky.

3 comments:

  1. Do you have an iPhone? How does it work? Seems like a lot of effort to see content on such a small screen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Otto I LOVE your positive attitude and your energy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sharon! I don't have an iPhone, but I do have what they call a "smart" phone, though I question how smart it really is. Essentially, smart phones have windows mobile, though I hardly use it for that. Most cell phones will browse the internet nowadays, without having to be "smart".

    Some Web sites are more "mobile" than others. As an example, cnn.com and espn.com have "mobile" site alternatives specifically designed for cell phones. These work well on cell phones, especially for getting up-to-date info, a quick reference, or another entry into your blog, twitter or facebook account. There's a lot of shortcuts that help too. So essentially, there's a whole new Web world on the mobile galaxy.

    ReplyDelete